That Faint Thing Far Off

I have been paying more attention, in my art, to atmospheric or aerial perspective.

The Oxford English Dictionary defines aerial perspective as, "The technique of representing more distant objects as fainter and more blue." This is a rather simple definition, but it refers to the effect we see as  distant objects appear lighter in value; they are fainter and faded.

You can see this in Eugene Oregon, where I live, when you look off to the distant mountains--even though the mountains are covered by dark green fir trees, at a distance, they often seem to be a hazy and soft blue.

Below are a few of my recent efforts to use aerial or atmospheric perspective.

I am looking forward to using this effect much more in my art!



My first effort at aerial perspective



My second effort




My third effort


On my third effort you can see that I also added dappled sunlight coming through the trees and striking the bridge.


I like the combination of aerial perspective and dappled sunlight--I hope to use this combination much more!

Comments

  1. These are stunning...I would like to see the second and third one in person....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the complement.
      Yes, everything looks better in real life and the "virtual" representations of my art has been an ongoing source of frustration for me. It will help when I finally buy myself a scanner rather than relying on my Powershot digital camera.

      Delete
  2. My pleasure--thanks for the appreciation and the comment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts